Thursday, December 24, 2009

Starring Alec as "Bert!"

We are so excited for Alec. This year he and his friend Brian were asked by their music teacher, Ms. Hinami to join Honor Choir. She also began planting a seed in their minds about trying out for the school production of Mary Poppins. A couple weeks ago the auditions began and she once again encouraged them to try out. Brian really considered it but decided not to. I was surprised when Alec decided to do it (he usually only likes to try new things if he has a friend for support). He really worked on his lines, reciting them in a British accent, and learned two songs for the audition. Hannah and I waited in the hall while he went in. We couldn't hear him well, but we could hear the teachers cheering when he was done. He came out excited and later said, "As long as I don't get the part of Bert, I'm okay!" His favorite character is Bert, but the role is too big - or so he thought. Monday the cast list was posted. Alec was home sick so Hannah and I went to check it out after school. And the part of Bert goes to . . . Alec! Hannah couldn't wait to tell him. He didn't believe her and I had to convince him. He was a little overwhelmed at first but excited. He told me there was a part of him that was hoping to get the part. There are two casts and each cast will perform in two shows. When Alec is not playing the role of Bert he will be one of the extras. I think this will be a lot of fun for him and I'm so appreciative of Ms. Hinami who encouraged him to do this. We know he will do a great job! Rehearsals will start in January and the performance will be at the end of April!

No comments: