Saturday, October 2, 2010

First Day of School - 4th and 6th Grade




Hannah's transition to fourth grade was a piece of cake. She knew she had a nice teacher. She has good friends in her class. She was ready to start her year.
Alec, on the other hand, was contemplating homeschooling or dropping out I think.
Everything was fine until the night before school started and then the nerves started getting the best of him. In the morning I took him up the hill to Brian's house. He really wanted to ride the bus with Brian instead of the neighborhood bus. Well, I'm not going to dredge up all the details, but he had a hard time. When he and Brian were on their way to the bus stop, I started to get in the car. When I glanced over to the sidewalk, Alec was coming back! After some more coaxing he got on the bus with Brian. Then, David and I get texts to meet him at the school. By the time he got there, he had texted us again to say he was okay.
Six classes to have to navigate, barely any recognizable faces in the classrooms, riding the bus for the first time - all hard, especially for a boy who doesn't like change.
A month has passed, and aside from still getting used to one teacher who is "old school" in his philosophies and demeanor (a bit scary), he is doing great. He is doing great in all his classes, gets to see his friends at lunchtime, and has made some new friends as well.
On that first day, I did have flashbacks to his first day of kindergarten. I remember waiting with him in line and him looking up at me and saying, "Mommy, can we go home? My armpits are sweaty?"
Hannah (K) and Alec (2nd grade) walking to school . . .
I do miss those days!



No comments: