Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas 2010

I just looked at my blog and saw jack-o-lanterns!  I guess it is time to do some updating.  I will skip right to the holiday season.  I think I will give ten highlights of the season (in no particular order) and some pictures to accompany some of the events. 

1)  Snow!  Thanksgiving weekend got us in the mood for Christmas I guess!  The kids had an extra long
weekend.  We went to Lake Wilderness and did a little sledding, but mostly stayed indoors and enjoyed the time off.  We also went and picked out our tree that weekend. 



                 Getting ready to ambush David when he walks out the door.



2)  Visiting Santa Claus - I thought we were probably done going for our yearly picture with Santa, but I
guess the kids were not ready to be done (and I don't think I was either).  On the 23rd we went down to
Kent Station.  We had lunch and then headed over, seeing that the line had diminished.  We learned that '
Santa was feeding his reindeer and wouldn't be back for an hour.  Ugh.  I was feeling terrible, it was
pouring down rain and cold, but we did it.  Another picture for the book!


3)  A Christmas Carol - David and I took the kids to Palomino for dinner and then went to see "A Christmas
Carol" at the ACT theater.  It is one of David's favorite shows.  We had awesome seats and were really
impressed by the special effects and the wonderful performances - especially by two young actresses -
Morgan and Sarah Roberts.  Morgan and Alec and friends who met during the "Mary Poppins"
production.  She and her sister had parts in the play and performed in 47 shows this season.




4)  A Christmas Story - One of my favorite nights of the holiday season was when my mom, Alec, Hannah,
 and I went downtown Seattle to see "A Christmas Story - the musical."  We first hit the mini-donut stand
 by the carousel  and then did a little shopping.  We had a great dinner at PF Changs and really enjoyed
 ourselves.  Mom had to pack the left-over lo-mein in her purse (a little joke) and we went to the theater. 
 It was wonderful!!  Beautiful sets, great acting and singing, and very funny.


5)  Hannah's Choir Concert - We're so happy Hannah is in Ms. Hinami's honor choir.  The performance right
before Christmas was full of fun and beautiful holiday songs. 

6)  School Parties - Hannah had fun making Christmas gifts at school.  Alec lucked out when his school     lost power after several wind storms in Maple Valley and school was cancelled for two days before   vacation officially began. 
 
I decorated my classroom with Xmas lights and the kids were excited all month.  It was humbling though
to learn how many of the families of my students are struggling.  Our staff came together and helped to
make the holidays a little happier for some families. 

7)   Though, I ended up with walking pneumonia and had to miss several holiday parties I was really looking   forward to, we at least got to have dinner and a gift exchange with friends - even if the power went out
and we had to change venues.  Thanks Kim and Lynne!

8)  Christmas Eve and Grandma and Papa's.  The kids played all day and we had a delicious dinner.           Grandma always gives the kids matching pjs.  It has gotten harder as they have gotten older.  This year     she bought Husky pj's.  Alec almost refused to put them on.  She has promised that next year they will be    Cougars. 



9)   A visit from Santa!  Christmas Eve we surprised to get a visit from Santa Claus himself.  Our friend Rod paid the kids in the neighborhood a visit before they turned in for the night.


10)  Christmas Day - Our tradition is for the kids to wake us up.  We asked to please let us sleep in until    7:30 and they did.  Alec said he laid their for 70 minutes waiting.  That took willpower!  They opened    presents and then Grandma Toot-Toot, Grandpa Dick, Uncle Pat, and Cousin Dalton came over for    brunch.  In the afternoon, Grandma Shirley and Papa came over and David cooked dinner for us.        Grandma and Papa left when they'd finally had enough of Glee Karaoke on the wii! 


11)  One more . . . The LDS church has a beautiful creche display.  There are hundreds of nativity sets on display.  It is incredible to see the variety and those from around the world.  This is our third year going and it is such a nice way to start off the Christmas season. 

No comments: